If you wear a cloth mask, the CDC recommends that you wash it after each use. Depending on how you intend to wash or dry your cloth mask, follow these steps to ensure it is as clean as possible.
Washing machine and dryer
- Use the warmest appropriate setting for the material used to make the cloth mask.
- Use laundry detergent of your choice.
- Use the highest heat setting and leave mask in the dryer until completely dry.
Wash by hand and air dry
The CDC recommends preparing a bleach solution by mixing 5 tablespoons (one-third cup) household bleach per gallon of room temperature water OR
4 teaspoons household bleach per quart of room temperature water.
- Soak mask in the bleach solution for five minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with cool or room temperature water.
- Lay mask flat and let it completely dry. If possible, lay it in direct sunlight as it is drying.
Be sure to check the label on your bleach bottle to see if it is intended for disinfection. Some bleach products (for example, those for safe use on colored clothing) may not disinfect. Ensure the bleach product is not expired as well. NEVER mix your household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser.