Maternal fetal medicine: specialized care for high-risk pregnancy
Every woman hopes for a healthy pregnancy. But sometimes challenges arise. When those challenges mean the mother, baby, or both have a higher-than-average chance of experiencing complications, the pregnancy is considered high-risk.
If your OB/GYN or midwife determines you have a high-risk pregnancy, he or she will talk with you about your possible increased risks and treatment plan, which may mean referral to a maternal fetal medicine physician.
Prevea Maternal Fetal Medicine at HSHS St. Vincent Hospital is dedicated to making sure you know what's going on with your body and your baby. We'll provide you with the information and resources to answer all your pregnancy questions so you're less stressed and more confident. Throughout your pregnancy, you will work with a dedicated team of professionals with special training. They will help you understand all your treatment options and provide you with the best care for a healthy baby.
What is considered a high-risk pregnancy?
Age, health problems, genetics and past pregnancy outcomes all affect a woman’s chances of becoming high-risk. Medical conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure can also complicate a pregnancy.
You may be referred to a maternal fetal medicine physician for high-risk pregnancy care if:
- Your OB/GYN or midwife determines you have a complicated pregnancy
- You are carrying twins, or more
- You have a history of miscarriages
- Your water breaks early/you experience preterm labor
- You have a personal history of a chronic medical condition such as diabetes or high blood pressure
If your OB/GYN or midwife determines you have a complicated pregnancy, he or she will talk with you about possible risks and help you learn about all your treatment options. Throughout your pregnancy journey, you will work with a dedicated team of professionals who will provide you with the best care for a healthy pregnancy and delivery.
Compassionate care for high-risk pregnancies
When you're expecting, and you find out your pregnancy is high risk, you deserve compassion, support and encouragement. With Prevea Maternal Fetal Medicine, not only do you get highly specialized pregnancy care, but you get comforting care from a team who understands what you're going through.
We’re here for the unexpected—every step of the way
Your miracle in the making is precious, and it’s our mission to provide the best chance for a healthy pregnancy, delivery and baby. We work closely with you and your OB/GYN or midwife
to create a treatment plan specifically designed for your health care needs.
Early diagnosis and management of high risk pregnancy
With special training, expert knowledge and state-of-the-art technology to determine if mom or baby is high risk, Prevea Maternal Fetal Medicine is dedicated to diagnosing and treating complications as early as possible.
- Comprehensive care of high-risk pregnancies
- Pregnancy care during advanced maternal age (pregnant women age 35 or older)
- Diagnosis and treatment of high risk pregnancy complications, such as
- Diabetes (gestational diabetes)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Thyroid disorder
- Autoimmune disorder
- Thrombophilia (blood clotting disorder)
- Advanced imaging, including 3D and 4D ultrasound
- Genetic screening ultrasound
- Genetic consultation, testing and counseling
- Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- The latest advancements in screening and diagnostic tests
You’re in good hands with Prevea Maternal Fetal Medicine and our medical partners.
This is a special time in your life, and nothing is more amazing than the birth of your child. That’s why we partner with exceptional birthing centers at HSHS St. Vincent
, St. Mary’s
and St. Nicholas Hospitals
, and the only children hospital in Green Bay – HSHS St. Vincent Children’s Hospital