- 1 whole chicken 32 oz. (all natural)
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups whole grain pasta
- 4 bell peppers (2 green, 1 organge and 1 yellow)
- 2 carrots
- 1 parsnip
- 1 turnip
- 1 red onion
- 4 stalks of celery
- 2 red potatoes (if desired)
- 8 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Remove chicken from wrapper, rinse and place in large soup pot. Add water until chicken is submerged.
- Cut two stalks of celery, 1 green pepper, and half the onion into large chunks. Add to pot with chicken.
- Add 1 tsp. basil, 4 bay leaves, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper to chicken.
- Place soup pot on stove top, set temperature for medium heat. Cook chicken, spices and vegetables for approximately 2-3 hours. The water should lightly boil. This will not only cook your chicken but serve as your chicken stock.
- While chicken is cooking, peel and chop all vegetables not used in stock. You may want to pan sauté vegetables in oil first, then add to soup. This will help them become tender.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Once chicken is cooked, (you can test by checking if meat falls easily off the bone); debone chicken and place chicken into clean soup pot along with additional vegetables.
- Strain juice/stock into the fresh soup pot.
- Add noodles.
- Add 1 tsp. each of salt, pepper and basil and remaining bay leaves.
- Simmer soup for about a half hour and enjoy!
Total fat: 3.6 g
Saturated fat: 0.8 g
Cholesterol: 57.2 mg
Sodium: 578.1 mg
Potassium: 661.8 mg
Total carbohydrate: 20.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.2 g
Sugars: 2.1 g
Protein: 24 g