A gluten free, low calorie and fat option for this family favorite. Using a layer of grated sweet potatoes in place of a pastry crust not only slashes extra calories and saturated fat, it adds a touch of subtle sweetness to the quiche.
- 1 sweet potato (washed)
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (finely diced)
- 6 slices uncured, nitrate-free turkey bacon (thinly sliced)
- 1, 10- oz packaged, frozen, chopped spinach (thawed)
- 3/4 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fat-free feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place a box grater into a medium bowl. Grate the sweet potato until there are 2 cups grated sweet potato. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Gently press the sweet potato into the bottom of the pie plate and up the sides; the sweet potatoes will be loose but will hold together once cooked. Place in the oven and bake until sweet potato crust is cooked, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and decrease oven temperate to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pan, warm oil over medium-high heat. Finely dice the onion and add to the pan. Cook until almost translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add turkey bacon, continuing to stir and cook until onions and bacon begin to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in spinach, dill, salt, and pepper; cook until water from the spinach is released, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Use a spatula to transfer mixture from pan into the sweet potato pie shell.
- In a bowl, add eggs, egg whites, and milk. Using a fork, whisk to combine. Pour eggs over vegetable mixture in the pie shell. Dot the feta cheese over the top of quiche.
- Cook quiche in oven until eggs in the center are set, about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool just a few minutes before slicing. Serve.
Total Fat: 5.0 g
Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
Trans Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 87 mg
Sodium: 458 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 11 g
Dietary Fiber: 3 g
Sugars: 4 g
Protein: 12 g