No matter the season, it’s important to maintain a proper skincare routine. However, there are countless products and a range of skin types, making it hard to know where to start. Here is a great guide to determining how to keep your skin healthy and glowing all year round.
The first step to a nourished face is determining your skin type. There are four main skin types:
- Normal. Normal skin has fine pores, a soft and smooth texture, no blemishes and is not prone to sensitivity. As normal skin ages, it can become dry.
- Dry. Dry skin can often feel brittle and rough. Untreated dryness can cause flaky patches, possible itchiness and a feeling of tightness.
- Oily. Oily skin can be caused by genetics, stress, medication, cosmetics and hormonal imbalances. Often, oily skin has large, visible pores, mild acne and blackheads.
- Combination. Combination skin is defined by an oily T-zone (forehead, nose and chin), enlarged pores and normal to dry cheeks.
Once you determine what type of skin you have, the next step is creating a four-step skincare routine. You should follow these four steps no matter what skin type you have, customizing your routine by testing products that are designed for your skin type. You can get samples of products from most beauty stores.
- Cleansing. Cleansing your face is a very important step of your skincare routine; try to do it every morning and evening. Use a facial cleanser in this step, such as a foaming liquid, oil or micellar water. A good cleanser will clean your skin without taking away healthy essential oils, especially when you wash your skin with a clean washcloth or a cleansing brush.
- Toning. These are thin liquids that can help deliver extra nutrients to balance your complexion and help other products absorb better. Toners should be done immediately after cleansing and before putting on anything else. It’s important to find one that is compatible with your skin type. To apply it, use your clean hands or a thin cotton round.
- Moisturizing. This is one product that is recommended to use year round for all skin types, as skin loses the ability to retain moisture as you age. Daily activities can cause your skin to loose moisture, so it’s important to do daily. Pick a moisturizer for your skin type, such as a gel, lotion, cream or balm. The best way to apply moisturizer is with your (clean) fingers.
- SPF. Daily sunscreen application is vital to protecting the skin from the sun’s harmful rays. Broad spectrum SPF allows you to identify the sunscreens that protect against both UVA and UVB rays. UVB rays are mostly responsible for giving the skin that “burn” and damage the top layers of the skin. UVA rays, however, are actually more damaging because they penetrate deeper within the skin and cause more of the aging factors like fine lines, wrinkles and brown spots.
As you become more familiar with your skin and what works for you, you may decide to add additional steps to your routine, such as exfoliating or spot treatment. Remember, the key to healthy skin is consistency. It can take up to six weeks to see results, but if you stick with it, your skin will thank you!