You can’t be everything, to everyone, all the time. Life is about balance, and that applies to your work life and home life. Below are some ideas on how you can create boundaries between work and home, allowing you to enjoy your home life more.
De-stress your home life
- Take as little work home as possible
- Leave cell phones off when enjoying family time
- Don’t run to answer the doorbell or telephone – it is ok to screen calls and visitors
- Plan regular family time – as little as 15 to 30 minutes works
- Schedule time for yourself
- Utilize commuting time to de-stress – listen to music, vent to yourself, etc.
- Change into comfortable clothing when you arrive home to help signify an end to the day
- Have a small snack before dinner to ward off pre-dinner crankiness and exhaustion
- Use vacation time
You do not need to use every idea to de-stress and make your home life more enjoyable, however, try choosing one or two to start. As time goes on, you can choose more ideas to add more to your daily routine. Making changes a little at a time makes change more manageable, making it less likely you will revert back to old habits.