Wearing a helmet while on a bicycle can cut your risk of suffering a head injury in half, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
. Pediatricians recommend children always wear a helmet while bicycling. To make sure children are in the habit of wearing helmets, parents should lead by example, and wear a helmet themselves.
In addition to wearing a proper helmet, here are a few helpful tips and reminders:
- Be attentive, making sure to avoid other bicyclists, vehicles or other hazards, such as potholes
- Use appropriate hand signals
- Follow all traffic signals
- Wear bright clothing
- Don’t wear loose fitting clothing and make sure shoelaces are tied
- Apply sunscreen to avoid sun burns when out riding bikes.
For more information on properly fitting your child's helmet and other bike safety topics, visit the Center for Childhood Safety
for more information.
Your Prevea pediatrician can answer any questions you have about bike riding and other safety topics. To schedule an appointment, call (920) 496-4700
or click here to schedule online