It is easy to over indulge around the holidays. Registered dietitian Deb Guenterberg and health coach Brittany Ingledew are here to provide a few tips on maintaining a healthy weight this holiday season.
Here are some additional tips to help you stay on track during the holiday season:
- Don’t go to parties on an empty stomach and don’t skip meals – both may lead you to eat more than you intended.
- Plan ahead by bringing healthy snacks or a healthy dish to share.
- When making a plate, control your portions so you can still enjoy some of your favorites.
- If you are hosting a party or gathering, be mindful of those who may be making lifestyle changes and make some healthy options available.
- Slow down when you eat. It takes time for our bodies to release the chemical that tells us when we are full.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Focus on fun, not food. Consider playing games to distract you from mindless eating!
- Keep up with your exercise. We are all busy during the holidays. Don’t use the holiday season as an excuse to stop the routine you have been working hard to build during the year.
- Try changing old recipes to include lower calorie ingredients, like replacing whole eggs with egg whites, or use unsweetened fruit purees in place of oils in cakes and breads.