What is a Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM)?
Certified nurse-midwives provide health care to women, with a focus on education and healthy lifestyles. They are licensed health care professionals with master’s degrees in nursing and midwifery. By blending the supportive care that women expect with the scientific knowledge needed for safe practice, including collaboration with a midwife-friendly medical team, Prevea’s certified nurse-midwives take pride in keeping up to date on the latest research by attending continued education programs.
Prevea Midwives understand that each woman’s health care journey is unique. By tailoring health care options to meet your individual needs and expectations, it's a personalized approach for both general women’s health and pregnancy care.
Choosing a midwife for your pregnancy
- Routine women’s care for all ages
- Yearly physicals
- Counseling in health maintenance and disease prevention
- Assistance with family planning decisions
- Pregnancy care
- Labor and delivery care in the hospital
- Medical care for mom after delivery
- Breastfeeding education and support
- Menopause care and management options
You’ll feel empowered during pregnancy and childbirth as midwives encourage you and your family to be actively involved and personalize your birthing experience — respecting your cultural values and personal preferences. Your midwife will be by your side during labor and delivery, providing you with clinical expertise, encouragement and emotional support. At Prevea, midwives
- Work within a team of doctors, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurses and support staff to provide the best possible care.
- Can attend your delivery independently within the safety and comfort of the hospital.
- Can guide you through a non-medicated labor if you choose, or you have the option of using medication during labor.
- Have the ability to deliver your baby, and they also have the full services of the hospital and access to obstetricians in the event of a complication.
- Guide expectant mothers on a holistic journey during pregnancy and beyond – they can continue your medical care after baby is born.
The first in Green Bay to offer a certified nurse-midwife program, Prevea Health is also the only health care system to offer midwife services on both the east and west side of Green Bay and in Oconto Falls. Prevea’s certified nurse-midwives deliver at HSHS St. Vincent and St. Mary’s Hospitals.
Prevea has a team of certified nurse-midwives who offer personalized services at multiple locations in Western Wisconsin, with delivery options at HSHS St. Joseph's and Sacred Heart Hospital.
To meet our midwives and find a location near you, click here.