Did you know high blood pressure is the second leading cause of kidney failure in the U.S.? Chronic kidney disease is a serious condition that increases your chances of having a variety of complications such as stroke, heart attack, kidney failure and death.
Take the pressure off your kidneys by following these 6 healthy lifestyle habits:
- Take blood pressure-lowering medications as prescribed by your doctor.
- Aim for a healthy weight to lower your chances of health problems related to high blood pressure.
- Take steps to make healthier food and beverage choices.
- Take steps to quit smoking.
- Aim for at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night.
- Take steps to reduce stress and be physically active for 30 minutes each day.
(NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)