Midwife care: Understanding women. It’s our specialty.
With a midwife, you’ll feel empowered during pregnancy and childbirth as midwives encourage you and your family to be actively involved and personalize your birthing experience — respecting your cultural values, beliefs and personal preferences. One of Prevea’s midwives will be by your side during your labor and delivery, providing you with medical expertise, encouragement and emotional support along the way.
Find a midwife near you
The first in Green Bay to offer a certified nurse-midwife program, Prevea Health is also the only health care system to offer midwife services on both the east and west side of Green Bay and in Oconto Falls. Prevea’s certified nurse-midwives also see patients in Appleton, and deliver babies at HSHS St. Vincent Hospital in Green Bay.
Did you know Prevea offers free appointments to meet a midwife? Call (920) 405-1430 for more information.
- Routine women’s care for all ages, including teenagers
- Yearly physicals
- Counseling in health maintenance and disease prevention
- Assistance with family planning decisions
- Pregnancy care
- Labor and delivery care in the hospital
- Medical care for mom and baby after birth
- Breastfeeding education and support
- Menopause care and management options
Certified nurse-midwife Q&A
What is a nurse midwife?
Certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) are different from doulas, nurses and doctors. They are licensed and medically trained advanced health care professionals with master’s degrees in nursing and midwifery and are certified through the American Midwifery Certification Board. By blending genuinely supportive care that you expect as a women, with the scientific knowledge needed for safe medical practice, midwives provide a holistic approach to both general women’s health and pregnancy care.
As women themselves, Prevea’s midwives understand that your health care journey, wishes and desired health outcomes as a woman are unique. We listen to you, because you listen to your body, and we respect your individual choices and tailor your medical care to your individual needs.
What does a certified nurse-midwife do?
Certified nurse-midwives provide health care for women in a medical setting, with a focus on education and healthy lifestyles. At Prevea, midwives
Is a midwife right for me?
- work within a team of doctors, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurses and support staff to provide the best possible care for women, including but not limited to pregnancy care.
- guide expectant mothers on a holistic journey during pregnancy and beyond – they can continue your medical care after baby is born.
If you want to be your own health care advocate and involved in making your own health care decisions, you’ll appreciate knowing certified nurse-midwives meet you wherever you’re at in your health care journey.
Your certified nurse-midwife will provide you with ethical, equitable and high quality health care that respects your individuality and diversity.
Learn more about the midwifery philosophy of care
Can midwives deliver babies?
Holistic care + expertise
- can deliver your baby independently within the safety and comfort of a hospital, at HSHS St. Vincent Hospital in Green Bay.
- can guide you through a non-medicated labor if you choose, or you have the option of using medication during labor.
- have access to all birthing and lactation services at the hospital, including access to obstetricians, a high-risk pregnancy physician and NICU services in the event of a complication.
Prevea’s certified nurse-midwives take pride in keeping up to date on the latest research by attending continued education programs. They take the time to answer your questions while educating and talking to you about good healthy habits as well as the physical and emotional changes you’re experiencing as a female.
Certified nurse-midwife philosophy of care
The same beliefs as the American College of Nurse-Midwives, Prevea’s midwives believe in the power and strength of women and the importance of their health in the well-being of families, communities and nations.
Every person has a right to:
Providing high-quality health care for a woman and her family:
- Ethical, equitable, accessible quality health care that promotes healing and health.
- Health care that respects human dignity, individuality and diversity.
- Complete and accurate information to make informed health care decisions.
- Active participation in health care decisions.
- Welcome family members to be a part of all health care experiences.
- Promotes a life-long and compassionate partnership.
- Helps us to understand a person’s life experiences and knowledge.
- Includes personalized methods of care and healing guided by research.
- Involves open communication and the use of human presence.
- Watchful waiting and non-intervention in normal lifecycle events.
- Appropriate use of advanced technology for health concerns.
- Consultation, collaboration and referral with other Prevea health care experts as needed to provide the best care possible.
Prevea’s midwives dedicate their careers to caring for women. It is this deep compassion for women’s health that draws health care providers to becoming a midwife. All of our midwives are nurse practitioners with advanced training in midwifery and are certified by the American Midwifery Certification Board.
Find a midwife near you!