Find your care
Prevea certified nurse-midwife care
Prevea’s certified nurse-midwives dedicate their careers to caring for women. They provide a unique approach to care, and this deep compassion for women’s health drew them to becoming a midwife. By blending the genuinely supportive care that you expect as a women with the scientific knowledge needed for safe medical practice, midwives provide a holistic approach to both general women’s health and pregnancy care.
If you're expecting or hoping to start a family soon, with a midwife, you’ll feel empowered during pregnancy and childbirth. Midwives encourage you and your family to be actively involved and personalize your birthing experience — respecting your cultural values, beliefs and personal preferences. One of Prevea’s midwives will be by your side during your labor and delivery, providing you with medical expertise, encouragement and emotional support along the way.
Your life. Your beliefs. Your birth plan.
Choosing a midwife for your pregnancy puts the power of your pregnancy care in your hands. Your certified nurse-midwife will provide you with ethical, equitable and high-quality health care that respects your individuality and diversity.
Holistic care + expertise
- Assistance with family planning decisions
- Bleeding concerns and management
- Breastfeeding education and support
- Certified lactation counseling
- Counseling in health maintenance and disease prevention
- Labor and delivery in hospital
- Medical care for mom and baby after birth
- Menopause/perimenopause care and management options
- Pregnancy care
- Teenage concerns and gynecology care
- Yearly physicals
Frequently asked questions
Prevea has a team of certified nurse-midwives who provide care at multiple health centers throughout Wisconsin and deliver babies at HSHS St. Vincent Hospital in Green Bay.
Prevea midwives see patients in Appleton, Green Bay, Manitowoc and Oconto Falls.
Prevea was the first in Green Bay to offer a certified nurse-midwife program, is also the only health care system to offer midwife services on both the east and west side of Green Bay. Call (920) 405-1430 for more information.
Certified nurse-midwives provide health care for women in a medical setting, with a focus on education and healthy lifestyles. At Prevea, midwives
- work within a team of doctors, nurses and support staff to provide the best possible care for women, including but not limited to pregnancy care.
- guide expectant mothers on a holistic journey during pregnancy and beyond – they can continue your medical care after baby is born.
You might want to choose a midwife if you are looking for personalized one-on-one medical care.
- Prevea’s certified nurse-midwives spend a lot of time with women listening to their needs and providing education.
- One of the hallmarks of midwifery is education. During appointments, midwives make sure women have all the information they need to feel comfortable with the next steps in their care.
- Midwives provide a holistic approach to patient care through community-centered care, meaning they get to know women through changes in their life.
- During pregnancy, midwives discuss what women want from the birth, what is important to them and how can they help the patient through it. They provide not only one-on-one support during pregnancy and labor, but the medical care as well.
- can deliver your baby independently within the safety and comfort of a hospital, at HSHS St. Vincent Hospital in Green Bay.
- spend as much time as possible at the hospital providing hands-on care and one-on-one support during labor and delivery, helping you meet your goals.
- can guide you through a non-medicated labor if you choose, or you have the option of using pain medication during labor.
- have access to all birthing and lactation services at the hospital, including a whirlpool tub during labor for pain management, and access to obstetricians, a high-risk pregnancy physician and NICU or virtual NICU services in the event of a complication.
- spend time with you after baby is born to ensure you and baby are doing well.
Certified nurse-midwives and doulas can both be important members of a woman’s pregnancy care team. The two often work side-by-side. However, there are differences in the support that each professional provides.
- Certified nurse-midwives provide medical care, including delivering the baby and prescribing medications. Doulas cannot provide medical care.
- Doulas provide labor support. They provide some prenatal and postpartum support, but they work outside of the clinic setting. They help with support techniques, comfort measures and childbirth education.
- Certified nurse-midwives provide similar support during pregnancy and labor, but they see patients in the clinic setting and are also able to provide the medical care during childbirth.
- When it comes time to have the baby, midwives and doulas can both be there supporting the patient and their family members, but the certified nurse-midwife will be the one that delivers the baby in the hospital setting.
|See patients in clinic||x|
|OB medical care||x|
The latest from Prevea Health
Breakthroughs & breaking news from the medical experts at Prevea Health
Health and wellness
Find a Prevea Midwife near you
With a certified nurse-midwife, you can feel empowered in your health care journey. Schedule an appointment with a Prevea midwife at a Prevea health center near you.